This is my first "OUTDOOR WEDNESDAY" post hosted by Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer. Please go and visit her beautiful blog & check out this week's participants. I'm so excited to share my dear friend Micki's incredible sanctuary of a yard with all of you...she & her dear departed husband Bill, who was a Naval Commander during his career in the military, built their wonderful yard stone by stone, plant by plant & tree by tree. I asked her permission to post her pictures & in no particular order, here they are:

*
(Click on pictures to enlarge)
A fall scene of the stairs leading down to a bench to sit & listen to nature. Their property backs to a creek where deer, opossums, foxes & other critters have been seen...
Imagine if you will, they had to grade the entire area & lay the electrical for this lantern...
This is a view looking back at their home...each & every step was hand laid by them...
A cart positioned on a terraced level of their beautiful yard ...
A closer view... do you notice the circular stone wall in the background...it was built by Bill.
Their yard is in different levels and has walkways leading to lovely areas to enjoy & here is a bridge that Bill built to access another area of their sanctuary...
This is a fall/winter scene of their magnificent yard that Micki might not have wanted me to post, but I think it is still beautiful!

*
Okay, now check this out...I've always called this a Tulip Tree...isn't it spectacular?! But, I just learned from Micki it is actually a deciduous MAGNOLIA...
*
Here is a close-up...this picture was taken recently...I LOVE this color & the shape of the flowers, don't you?
*
Okay, one last photo of a flower bed in her front yard...Well, I must thank my dear friend Micki for letting me share her fantastic sanctuary with Blogland...I hope you loved it as much as I do...
*
Now for my Double-Whammy....this is also "I WONDER WEDNESDAY" hosted by none other than a Blogland favorite...TarDevil @ Confessions of a 40-something Mama Queen

*
Sending you lots of love Penny-Tar! You are a special lady to so many of us here in Blogland...
I hope your day is the best ever!
*Here is a close-up...this picture was taken recently...I LOVE this color & the shape of the flowers, don't you?
*Okay, one last photo of a flower bed in her front yard...Well, I must thank my dear friend Micki for letting me share her fantastic sanctuary with Blogland...I hope you loved it as much as I do...
*Now for my Double-Whammy....this is also "I WONDER WEDNESDAY" hosted by none other than a Blogland favorite...TarDevil @ Confessions of a 40-something Mama Queen

*
So...I wonder just how many candles are on her Birthday Cake because February 18th is her SPECIAL day!!! Let's all sing "Happy Birthday" to our dear bloggy girlfriend!
Sending you lots of love Penny-Tar! You are a special lady to so many of us here in Blogland...I hope your day is the best ever!
♥♥♥♥♥








83 comments:
Oh Bo that rock wall is gorgeous as is everything in the yard...like some are about tablescapes I am about outdoor stuff until I win the lottery my yard will NOT be shown its sad so sad lol Hugs French;) xoxo
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday, Dear Tar!
Happy Birhday to you!
And Bo, I loved the tour of your friend's garden. SO neat. Particularly loved that wall and those stone steps. Just so neat!
Thanks for sharing...
XO,
Sheila :-)
~Gorgeous just beyond gorgeous Bo!!!! Love the stone wall.
What a wonderful idea to post her yard for OW!
How very kind and thoughtful of you.
Happy B-Day dear Tar! ;)
Welcome to Outdoor Wednesday Bo!
What a wonderful yard...all the pathways and "rooms"...I could spend hours enjoying walking around!
Thanks for sharing your photos.
Susan
Oh your friends yard is so delightful. I'm glad you shared it with us. Very enchanting...
What a gorgeous yard! I wish I could do that in our backyard since we live on a hill and we are trying to build a multi terrace in the back too. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures.Bo. I am inspired!...Christine
THat garden is so beautiful... the landscapes and hardscapes... And those pink flowers...
*Really Rainey
Hi Bo! What a beautiful garden! And a very happy birthday to Tar!! Happy Wednesday...Debbie
Micki's beautiful yard is an amazing sanctuary! Thank you both for sharing it with us!
Happy Birthday TarDevil! You're in good company, mine was Sunday! ♥ Diane
You little rascal....you got me good!!! Thanks to all the well-wishers! Don't worry...I won't forget! :O) The cake looks delicious too...and being that it's virtual, it should help w/ my "I Wonder" problem!
P.S. Your friend's (and dear departed) yard is beautiful. I planted one of those "tulip" trees, and I'm thinking perhaps I need to open my blinds to see if it's blooming. Their stonework was gorgeous!
Happy Birthday, cha, cha, cha! It was so wonderful to walk through the garden photos when it is very cold and dreary here in Illinois.
Joyce
When I saw the first picture of your friends yard I thought, it looks like a secret garden. Great pictures. I'm glad you told us it was Tardevils birthday.
Happy Birthday Tar!
Bo this yard is spectacular! It truly does look like a sanctuary. The rock work is amazing and I love the tree, the color of the flowers is beautiful. Great outdoor wednesday post! Hugs, Kathy (PS Thanks for the heads up about Tars birthday)
All that stone is gorgeous....makes it look like it's been there forever...very European. Linda
What I'd give to have an outdoor sanctuary like that to call my own...I'd probably never get any cooking and cleaning done because I'd be outside all day! BEAUTIFUL!
Oh, my..what a lovely sanctuary to escape to. They did beautiful work and know they must have enjoyed it together so much. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Gotta run over and hug Tar....
xo bj
What a fabulous yard. I would love to have a sanctuary like that to just chill in. They really did a fabulous job.
Now over to see Tar and wish her a Happy Birthday.
If that was my backyard I'd never go inside :)
Micki's yard is the result of years worth of love and care. We would like for ours to end up that way one of these days...especially the terracing part. It's beautiful!
Happy Birthday Tar!! Can I have some cake now. :)
Thanks, my friend.I really miss my hubby to help me keep this yard up. We have 4 koi ponds on two levels that are connected by a stream that are now in disuse that are filled with dry leaves. There are so many trees and I cannot keep them out of the water..I still love my yard and that "wall"in picture 4 is a bar-b-que pit that I use when the kids come.
More pics, anytime
love ya, gal!
Hey! how about that, I had to write it twice! (not very savvy)..but to all the comments,I do spend time in my yard and, no, I don't get much housework done..
squiggles!!(that's hugs and giggles..)
Thanks for telling us it's Tars b.day.
What a lovely yard.Oh I do wish dh would be interested in something like this.It's all I can get him to do is cut the grass....Ann
Did you say that they did this themselves, how beautiful, I know that your friend really misses her husband, what wonderful memories she must have.
Thank you both for sharing,
Blessings,
Sue
The yard is really beautiful and I think we all know that just like inside decorating, making a wonderful yard takes a long time and a lot of love. You sure can see the love in this yard. Makes me want to go play in my yard too.
Have a Wonderful Wednesday!
from Roberta Anne
What a beautiful haven! Lots of love and sweat went into that, I'm sure.
Sanctuary, I guess. I would want to sleep out there. Thank her so much for giving you permission to show it to us. I hope she spends a lot of time out there. I certainly would. And I'll go sing Happy Birthday to Tar now.
Love Ya,
Chris
What an incredible yard, and certainly a tribute to her husband,
and wonderful memory for her.
Thank you for sharing it.
Blessings on your day,
Barbara Jean
Happy Birthday to TAR!!! Bo, that landscaping is just awesome...thanks for sharing the photos:-)
Hi Bo!
Miki's yard is so beautiful! It could be a feature in Better Homes and Gardens magazine, especially because it has such a special story behind it of all their hard work designing it over the years. Maybe you should send those photos to their editor?
Happy birthday to Tar-Devil!:-)
Hugs, Pat
Micki's grounds are amazing. That is a lifetime of hard work and dedication. I love the concept of various outdoor rooms. Thanks for sharing!
All the best, Lana
Hi Bo
Such a beautiful sanctuary to enjoy.
I have a long way to go to even compare to the beauty of this yard, but I'm getting there.
Happy OW
Love Claudie
Happy Birthday to Mama Queen.
That cake looks fab
Hello dear Bo, your friends have an incredible yard inch by inch and stone by stone. The stone wall is gorgeous. My favorite look of a beautiful yard is stone and or brick walls and flower gardens edged with either one. They were dedicated to this project no doubt about it. A beautiful natural look to enjoy.
So Tardevil has a birthday. I better get over there and wish her the best. I do love her posts with her sense of humor. Thanks for the tip Bo. I wonder how many candles she has too. BIG smile!
It would be easy to come and visit my town. Just hop in the car and come on. The cabin is waiting.
Love you...Jeanne
Bo, Your yard is gorgeous! I call them tulip trees too and I love them!!!! :D Jewel
Micki's yard is indeed a sanctuary...thansk for sharing it w/ us!
Bo, what a vision they had for their garden, and what a wonderful execution of that vision. It is such a relaxing and beautiful place. Thank you for sharing, and please thank your friend too. I very much enjoyed seeing all of that beauty. laurie
Hi Bo
Happy Birthday to Penny-Tar. That is a lovely looking candle lit up so brilliantly. Great picture.
The backyard is so well planned and they have done so much work to make it their special paradise. Those stairs are so awesome too...the flowers in the trees.. Thank you to you and to your friend for posting those pictures!
have a lovely evening.
Judi
Bo, Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I do consider myself truly blessed to have such great friends living in my little town, I dont know what I would do without them! This backyard is amazing! And a ton of work I am sure, but oh so worth it! Thanks again, Sue
girl...these photos are sensational...love the stairs.
Thanks for the wonderful compliment...there will be no book deal...I already put it all in my blog! lol
Beautiful....I wish my yard looked half this beautiful. Thanks for sharing this wonderful outdoor living space.
Your friends yard is awesome. It is a labor of love to create such a lovely space and takes so much work.
So wonderful of you to let us know it is Tar Devil's birthday... I want to go wish her a happy day!
HUGS,
Beth
♥♥♥
Bo - I just don't know what to say. Your friend Micki's yard looks like it came out of a fairy tale. You can tell that it is a work of love. What a wonderful remembrance of her dear husband.
Hugs,
Sweetie
Oh BO, you be sure and tell Micki how beautiful her yard is and what a work of art that stone wall is...just loved it all...thanks so much for sharing and for coming by today to see my Yard Longs...hugs and smiles dear friend..Gl♥ria
Oh BO, you be sure and tell Micki how beautiful her yard is and what a work of art that stone wall is...just loved it all...thanks so much for sharing and for coming by today to see my Yard Longs...hugs and smiles dear friend..Gl♥ria
Oh BO, you be sure and tell Micki how beautiful her yard is and what a work of art that stone wall is...just loved it all...thanks so much for sharing and for coming by today to see my Yard Longs...hugs and smiles dear friend..Gl♥ria
Truthfully, girls, it took 29 years of "morphing". I never knew when Bill was going to get a wheelbarrow and add puddles of cement for another path or pond or buy redwood planks to build a deck. Or maybe build a swing like the ones we saw in Albuquerque...
Or rocks to build heaven knows what...a joy, all of it.
"M"
Well my dear friend what a beautiful back yard your girlfriend has... I thoroughly enjoyed the tour of it... It sure does reflect all the hard work put into it... I had never seen that tulip tree until this year... A friend of mine has it in her yard and it was just magnificent... Until a cold snap came and killed all the buds... boo hoo... I know they will come back. Have a good one Bo... I already wished Tar a Happy Birthday and you’re so sweet to tell everyone. Love YA!
(((HUGS)))
Donna
Bo,
Micki's garden/yard is absolutely beautiful. You can certainly see all the hard work that went in to it! I love a garden that has little spots to just sit and think~this is truly a sanctuary!
Thank you for a great OW post!
xoxo
Jane
What a pretty yard, that is my style, not too formal, somewhere you can just sit and dream!
Hi Bo, Your friend's yard is just beautiful. I would love to have a yard like that someday. That is amazing they did everything on their own. Wow! I thought that tree was a tulip tree too. I learned something!
Thanks so much for your prayers(on my tooth) I really appreciate them. It is feeling so much better today. I believe I am going to be healed! Kristen
What a gorgeous yard your friend has...you can see how much work went into creating such a beautiful place. AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAR....WE LOVE YOU!
Hi Bo! Oh, this is such a beautiful yard. I need some of this prettiness.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
Hi Bo! Your friend has a beautiful yard! What a labor of love and reminder of her dear husband. And a very Happy Birthday to Tar! Vanna
Hey Bo,
We've missed you too! This is the first opportunity I have had in a couple weeks to actually sit down and visit my friends in blogland. I have missed so much and have lots to catch up on. Beautiful scenery here today Bo.
All the best,
Lisa & Alfie
Such a stunning yard! I loved the slab stone walkway leading down from the house.\, and all the plants are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
Mornin' my friend...
Just wanted to stop by to see how you were and what you've been up to?
Thank you so much (and a special thank you to your friend Micki as well) for sharing this fabulous back yard with us! I can only imagine all of the long, hard days of work that went into this lovely space, although I'm sure that it has offered some treasured and priceless memories for your friend!!! I just love that pretty deciduous magnolia tree...the blooms are gorgeous!!!
Ohhh boy...it's tardevil's b-day!!! Happy Birthday, Penny!!! I'm sending you my very best and warmest wishes for the best birthday ever!!!
Have a great Thursday, Bo!
Love ya,
Chari
Bo, Your friend's yard is gorgeous, and so tranquil! I love the tulip trees!
Thank you so much for your encouraing comments on my post yesterday! They meant so much to me and I do hope you will drop in often! You are always welcome! Thanks for your "blogging friendship," you are a dear soul! ~hugs, Rhonda :)
Bo, Your friends yard is beautiful....it took her 29 years?? Wow! We will start working on our landscaping this summer, this was a wonderful inspiration, thanks for sharing! Cindy
Omigosh, what an absolutely beautiful yard your friend has...I've always wanted such a sanctuary but unfortunately I don't! lol I just love the way they have it all set up and would love for you to take pictures in the summer time when all the trees are filled out.
Happy Birthday to your friend Penny:-) xoxo
Hey there Bo, Happy Outdoor Wednesday, you picked a perfect outdoors to share with us, your friends garden is beautiful, love all the seating areas, the stone steps, just beautiful. Have a lovely week, I am across the pond right now, hugs, Kathy.
Bo, this is gorgeous. How kind of your friend Micki to open her beautiful yard to us..The peace she must get while out there must be beyond words. Her hubby did some mighty fine work..thank you Micki for sharing a part of you with us.
Happy Birthday...Penny-Tar!!
Bo, thanks for the visit.. You always put a big smile on my face with your kind words...I'm truly blest to have you as a friend..
hugs ~lynne~
Hi Bo!
To say your friends yard is a sanctuary is an understatement! It is so pretty. Like a Thomas Kincaid picture! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
~Liz
Hello Bo, You are so sweet. Our house is fine, the problem was at my sisters house as she was struck by lightning. Actually the tower is on the roof of her house. This is not my sister behind me, this sister lives across the mountain a mile away. Dish gave her 10 years of free service when she agreed to put the tower on her roof. She lives on the top of her mountain. They also had to cut down some trees to clear the way for the tower to send signals. They lost a laptop but that is all besides several hours of power. It was a bad storm.
Thanks for all your healing hugs Bo.
Love...Jeanne
Sigh---that was a lovely garden tour Bo. It's amazing to know that your friends created all that beauty. I would love to see it in person.
Bo,
Thanks for coming by to see my very first Tablescape.
Hope to do it again next week, but better start thinking of an idea now, as it took me two weeks to do the bird nest table!!
I'm sure it must get easier as you get used to it.
Blessings,
and thank you always for your words of encouragement.
Barbara Jean
Hi Bo! A little late on making my rounds since I returned from my trip up North. This garden of your friends is stunning! I totally am in awe of all the work on the gardens, the walls, the steps. Thanks for sharing! ;) ~CC Catherine
What a paradise! I hope her beautiful yard brings her pleasure, remembering how she worked along with her husband to create it.
Thanks for sharing!
Hi Bo, you are right about not being ready for our boys to grow up so fast. Time seems to fly by these days. We do love our grands though and I do want to see them grow mature and have a family too. I know you do too.
Hugs...Jeanne
You are so funny, Bo! I will do your ironing if you have some fabulous vintage linens that I might just accidentally get mixed in with mine! :) Oh, my mil would laugh if she could hear you say she was classy with her decorated sprinkler. I'm pretty sure her daughter decoupauaged that as a Girl Scout project!
That yard of your friends is just awesome. I'm sure it is even more fabulous in person. I just can't imagine all the work and love that went into that. It really is a site. I'm sure your friend loves looking at it and thinking of her dear husband. Thank you and her for sharing.
Donna
Evening,Sweet Bo! Well, I've got brownies! Come on over!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)
Hey Bo! I thought of you the other day!! I was at an antique mall, and there they were...Luneville dishes but soooooo cheap!! Maybe the lady didn't know or something! So I bought two 5 piece place settings!! Woooo hoooo! Now I own some!! And it's all thanks to you and your reminder! I will post them on a TT soon. Hugs and thanks...Debbie
Wow...love Micki's yard and garden...just beautiful. Bo, you need to take us on another tour once spring and summer get here! Love the curved stone wall! And Happy B'day to Penny...I feel bad I didn't know...oh, shoot! Hope she had a great one! Susan
Hello Bo, thanks for your sweet comments about our son. He is the most loving and happy guy and he doesn't think he is handsome at all. I knew you would love those dogs. We love them too but they are too big for us to take care of. Boy, do they shed. I guess that is why we are poodle lovers. For one thing, they do not shed.
Have a wonderful Sunday.
Hugs...Jeanne
I've already partied with you on this thread, Bo, but I wanted to drop by and wish you a very Blessed Sunday!
XO,
Sheila... who says that the knocking noice is all about the placement of your tongue on the roof of your mouth. It's as if you are saying tock and popping your tongue off the roof of your mouth. I wish I could do visuals for you. LOL!
Knocking "noise" not "noice" LOL! Typo Queen rides again! ;-)
What a gorgeous inviting place... truly a paradise on earth... thanks to you and your friens for sharing such lovely heaven...
Have a lovely week, Bo!
cielo
Hi Bo, How beautiful this outdoor space is! The steps and wall are gorgeous! Blessings, Nancy
still gazing at that rock wall!!!!
Hey BO...it's me...it's me!!!! lol I have missed you girl! Your friends yard is beautiful...(we call those Tulip tress down here too! lol and I have a deep purple one).... ohhhh the memories it must hold for her...Hope Tar had a fantastic Birthday!
Girl it is so good to be among the 'blogging' again lol
Thanks for coming by to check on me sweetie...hope you have a glorious week!
Bo, what a gorgeous garden, made with so much attention to detail and love.
Lidy
Bo, thank you for sharing Micki's gorgeous gardens with us. I love the stone bridge, walls, and steps and know how much work went into creating them.
Bill left Micki so many beautiful reminders of his talent, imagination, and love.
Sincerely,
Janie
Post a Comment